Sunday, April 5, 2009


The only way we can beat someone [in the New York City mayorial race] who is going to spend $100 million on this race is to have a really anti-political campaign. I’m the anti-politician. I’m the unpolitician.”

Councilmember Tony Avella, mayorial candidate, was quoted as saying this in an article entitled "The Outsider" by David Freedlander. Mr. Avella describes himself as the politician who refuses to be compromised by dirty politics. “Nothing is ever decided on the merits. It’s political and personal agendas. . . It’s money buys the influence and money rules this city in stead of the people.”

Mr. Avella refuses to play the game. Example: In 2003, in an article in Gotham Gazette, in voting according to the wishes of his district, he voted against Bloomberg’s property tax increase, along with a handful of other council members, despite pressure from the Bloomberg administration.

"That was the first time I had come face to face with a dilemma about what do you do. A lot of people said 'If you vote against it, you are going to be punished.' And I thought about it, and I said, 'Why am I here? Am I here to do what I'm told or what I think is best for my constituents and the people of the city?' And I said, 'I'm going to do what I think is best, because in my opinioin, once you make the other choice, you are absolutely lost.'"

The punishment was fast and severe.

Click on the link to see the entire article.

No comments: